Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tomorrow the Lord will do Wonders among You


Elder Jeffrey R Holland closed conference with his address.  He stated,
“But the fact of the matter is none of us want tomorrow, or the day after that, to destroy the wonderful feelings we have had…We want to hold fast to the spiritual impressions we have had and the inspired teachings we have heard. But it is inevitable that after heavenly moments in our lives, we, of necessity, return to earth, so to speak, where sometimes less-than-ideal circumstances again face us.”
I felt this was impressive because it is true.  Often I have a great spiritual experience, temple trip, conference, whatever, and they have to return to the real world, where kids are fighting, finances are difficult, and the spirit isn’t always there.

He continues by saying,
“First of all, if in the days ahead you not only see limitations in those around you but also find elements in your own life that don’t yet measure up to the messages you have heard this weekend, please don’t be cast down in spirit and don’t give up… Only the adversary, the enemy of us all, would try to convince us that the ideals outlined in general conference are depressing and unrealistic, that people don’t really improve, that no one really progresses. And why does Lucifer give that speech? Because he knows he can’t improve, he can’t progress, that worlds without end he will never have a bright tomorrow. He is a miserable man bound by eternal limitations, and he wants you to be miserable too. Well, don’t fall for that.”
Satan doesn’t want us to have what he doesn’t have.  He doesn’t want us to progress, or improve.  He doesn’t want us to have a bright tomorrow.  He does everything in his power to pull us down and make us feel miserable.  Knowing your enemy is half the battle.  Knowing his strategies makes it easier to withstand and recognize when we see ourselves being pulled down and depressed because of Satan’s tactics.  We don’t have to give up, or feel like we can’t or don’t measure up, we can have hope.

The following quote helped to bring hope to me as I strive to improve and live worthy.
“The Lord blesses those who want to improve, who accept the need for commandments and try to keep them, who cherish Christ like virtues and strive to the best of their ability to acquire them. If you stumble in that pursuit, so does everyone; the Savior is there to help you keep going. If you fall, summon His strength. Call out like Alma, “O Jesus, … have mercy on me.”7 He will help you get back up. He will help you repent, repair, fix whatever you have to fix, and keep going. Soon enough you will have the success you seek.”
Knowing that trying or striving to do our best can bring hope and encouragement.  Christ does not expect perfection in our lives at this point of our journey.  He expects us to call on him for help, and keep going.  He expects us to stumble and fall, but he wants us to get back up and keep trying to improve and try to keep the commandments.
President George Q. Cannon once taught: “No matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, [God] will never desert us. He never has, and He never will. He cannot do it. It is not His character [to do so]. … He will [always] stand by us. We may pass through the fiery furnace; we may pass through deep waters; but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. We shall emerge from all these trials and difficulties the better and purer for them.”
This too I can testify as truth.  As I struggled with my trial of anxiety and depression I found myself reaching out to Heavenly Father for help.  He didn’t turn away from me.  He welcomed me with our stretched arms and stood by my side.  He helped when I wanted to give up, and he helped when I struggled with things that bothered me.  He sent me council.  He knew what I need to hear, and when I was ready to hear it.   He never deserted me in my fiery furnace.  I am grateful for his help and the testimony I have gained from it.

This talk for me was encouraging and my new found favourite.  He was speaking right to me, telling me to hold on, and there is hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment