Monday, June 27, 2016

We’ll Ascend Together

Linda K Burton shares some great quotes and examples of appreciating fathers and their roles in Heavenly Fathers plan.  She begins her talk with pictures of the apostles and prophets with their wives, telling of the appreciation they have for them.  She expresses her love for her husband as well.  She goes on to talk about the proclamation of the family, “Today, I wish to honor husbands, fathers, brothers, sons, and uncles who know who they are and who are doing their best to fulfill God-given roles as described in the family proclamation, including righteously presiding and providing for and protecting their families.” (Burton, 2015)

She then expresses that she is “convinced that a husband is never more attractive to his wife then when he is serving in his God-given roles as a worthy priesthood holder-most important in the home.” (Burton, 2015) I think this would be wonderful to see in the home, and when visiting others homes creates a feeling of envy and wanting this for my family as well.

Sister Burton also mentions a quote from President Packer in her talk, “you have the power of the priesthood directly from the Lords to protect your home.  There will be times when all that stands as a shield between your family and the adversary’s mischief will be that power”.  (Burton, 2015)What a great visual of the adversary attacking our homes.

Then again She reminds us of a calling that is eternal in nature.  “Remember your sacred calling as father in Israel - your most important calling in time and eternity - a calling from which you will never be released.”  (Burton, 2015) This quote gave me a new perspective of motherhood.  It really is eternal and never ending.  Its something I hope to carry into the next life, as well as to this one.

The next quote is when she is talking about the importance of a help-meet.  “It is not good that man should be alone.  That is why our Heavenly Father made an help meet for him.  The phase help meet means, a helper suited to worthy of, or corresponding to him.  For example, our two hands are similar to each other, but not exactly the same.  In fact, they are exact opposites, but they complement each other and are suited to each other.” (Burton, 2015).  This example of the two hands the are complementing each other, completing each other is great.  It helps me to visualize what the Lord plan for us in a companion and help meet.

Another thing I enjoy about her talk are the five questions she has us think about.
  1.      “When was the last time I sincerely praised my companion, either alone r in the presence of our children?”
  2.       “When was the last time I thanked, expressed love for or earnestly pleaded I faith for him or her in prayer?”
  3.       “When was the last time I stopped myself from saying something I knew could be hurtful?”
  4.     “When was the last time I apologized and humble asked for forgiveness – without adding the words, but if only you had, or but if only you hadn’t?”
  5.       “When was the last time I chose to be happy rather than demanding to be right?”(Burton, 2015)

 I just love all of her talk and quotes, I am excited to share them!  They remind me of the importance of fathers and our spouses in our lives.  How we complete one another, and need to appreciate one another, be willing to apologizes, pray for, and not be hurtful.


I’m grateful for my wonderful husband in my life, for the love he shares, and how close we have grown over the almost 20 years we have been married.  He is a joy and anchor in my life.  I love him and can’t imagine my life without him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment