Friday, November 6, 2015

To "Ask" or to "Knock"? Is There a Difference?

   
 As I was reading my scriptures this week, I came across something that caught my attention in 2 Nephi 32:4.  This scripture is when Nephi is talking to his people about how difficult the words of Isaiah were to understand.  What caught my attention was the sentence about asking, and knocking.  They were listed as two separate distinct phrases.
Wherefore, now after I have spoken these words, if ye cannot understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock; wherefore, ye are not brought into the light, but must perish in the dark.
     With these two words separated by the word “neither”, it came to my mind that these we two different actions.  So, I went on a quest to find the difference between asking and knocking.
     I found the original scripture we are all familiar with in Matthew 7:7-8
“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.”
     With the help of the topical guide I learned this scripture was repeated thirteen times in the scriptures, most often in the Doctrine and Covenants.  This impressed to my mind that this scripture was important I needed to pay it some attention, and continue my search.
I felt asking would be prayer, probably verbal, and seeking would mean looking deeply into something, probably through the scriptures and modern revelations, and asking was something physical, as knocking is a physical action. 
     I opened my scriptures again and found something in 2 Nephi 9:42
“And whoso knocketh, to him will he open; and the wise, and the learned, and they that are rich, who are puffed up because of their learning, and their wisdom, and their riches—yea, they are they whom he despiseth; and save they shall cast these things away, and consider themselves fools before God, and come down in the depths of humility, he will not open unto them.”
     I realized in this verse humility had something to do with knocking.  This verse also had different footnotes then the other ones.  The footnotes for knocketh was “TG Objectives,” and “TG Study”.
     This impressed upon my mind that I might need to understand the objectives or purposes on knocking so that the door “shall be opened onto you”. 
     I opened the topical guide and noted the other references under “objectives”.  They were “Eternal Life, Joy, Motivations, Obedience, Service, Treasure, [and] Wisdom”.   These would be the purposes of opening the door, or of “knocking”.  But it still didn’t answer my original question. What is the difference between asking and knocking?  
     Since the footnote for knocketh also listed “TG Study” I felt I should at least look it up and see what it says.  I found the other references such as “Education, Knowledge, Learn, Meditation, Study of Scriptures, Search, Understanding [and] Wisdom”.   
     I felt impressed that there was more to knocking then asking.  It did require action, and more than just searching.  It required a deeper understanding, a true knowledge, of pondering and meditating just as it said in the TG Study.  It was a choice, and an action that allowed us to ask for the Lord to open the door for us, so that we may find what was suggested in TG objectives, eternal life, joy, obedience, service, treasure and wisdom.  It was a step above and beyond prayer and just seeking; it is education, knowledge, learning, wisdom, and understanding.  It is truth.  It is something we all should stretch and reach for, something we all should desire and try to obtain.  




     (I know these impressions were not of my own, but from help from the Lord.  I know I had help to discover the answer I was looking for.  I know my answer might not be the same as other people’s answers, but it was perfect for me.  I know knocking is an action and a choice, and will open the door to great and amazing things.  I thank Heavenly Father for the spirit that leads and guides us, and allows us to “ask, and it shall be given unto you”. )

No comments:

Post a Comment