Friday, December 4, 2015

What I've learned about the Atonement of Christ


This week I felt my main focus was the atonement and the wonderful and amazing blessing it is in my life.  I read, watched, listened and learned much.

The atonement is such a large and amazing event that I am finding myself continually learning and growing as I study and learn more about this sacrifice that Christ made for me personally so that I personally can return to my heavenly father again, and get through the trials and challenges of life here on the earth.

I watched a video this week named “Reclaimed”.  It’s about how an area in Idaho Falls is a reclaimed landfill.  It talks about reclaim meaning “to rescue from an undesirable state” or “to recall from wrong or unlawful conduct.”  It reminds me that the atonement took our sins for each us, allowing him to clean, reclaim and sanctify us.  No habit, addiction, rebellion or transgression is too much.  We can reclaim lives that are full of garbage or felt they have done too much wrong, or reclaim people who have changed, but can’t forgive themselves.  We can use his gift, and enjoy the beauty it creates.  This knowledge blesses me by allowing me to remember these things and know I can change even if I have done wrong.

I also read in the scriptures today Alma 7:10-13
“And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.
 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.”
I know from reading this that Christ blesses me as he suffered for our pains, afflictions and temptations of every kind.  He did this that he would have mercy and understand in his flesh what we went through so he may help us in these things.  He also took our sins so we can be delivered or saved and able to live with our Heavenly Father again.

I had a student in our class gathering this week talk about the compassion of Christ.  That he needed to feel what we went through so he would have true compassion.  That he felt our weaknesses, sins, pains, physical and spiritual trials, our happiness and our sadness.  I had never considered that is was necessary to feel something first to feel compassion, but I think it’s true.  I can feel sorry for, or grieve, but I don’t have true compassion unless I’ve felt that same thing first hand.  This was a great way from me to understand the atonement better and why Christ went through all the things he did, so he could have true compassion for us.

I also watched another video titled, “Look to the Light.  It was about four people who struggled with their lives, and what happened when they looked to the Lord for the first time.  I found myself emotional as they spoke about the peace, love, warmth that came to them as they prayed.  They talked about how Jesus Christ was pure love, and that he lives, he gives us other chances, and could pull anyone from the darkest holes. He has an eternal plan for us.  That we just need to accept his love and follow him.   
I loved how this video reminded me that no matter what we have done, he still loves us and will continue to love us.  He gives us peace, and love, and warmth so that we can face the storms that come our way.  He lives and truly loves us.

This week I also read from a book called the peacegiver.  It was enlightening as it reminded me the Savior has already taken all the sins of the world, he took the sins from those who have offended us or hurt us already.  We don’t have to forgive them, us much as we need to realize the Lord has already taken that sin, and we just need to accept the Lords atonement in our lives.  It reminded me that we deserve nothing, but the Lord has given us everything.  

I am blessed to know as I grow and learn more about the atonement, I will change and become a better person, that I will be the person he wants me to be and will always have is love, patience and support, just as you all can have that too..

No comments:

Post a Comment