Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Prayers take on New Meaning

I learned a few new things about prayer this week and I wanted to share them with you.

In Enos 1:4 “And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.”

This example of prayer is when Enos prayed.  He cried unto the Lord in mighty prayer and supplication.  So what exactly do these words mean?

The archaic meaning of cried mean to beg, mighty means powerful, and supplication means to ask humbly and earnestly.

If we use these new word in the scripture when Enos prayed, he “begged unto him in powerful prayer and with humility and earnestly. 

Does this describe our current prayers to the Lord? 

Are we willing to change, so we may beg him with power, earnestly and with humility? 

I know I would love my prayers to be this way.  I would love to be able to feel that relationship with him and have him know I am serious about my prayers and willing to have more meaningful and earnest prayers with my Heavenly Father.

Another thing I learned about prayers is from Elder Bednars talk entitled “Pray Always” from the October 2008 Conference.

Let’s start with the first part of Moses 3:5 “And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth”

So, I’m sure you might be questioning why I would include this verse about the creation, when I want to talk about prayer.

Well, if you read it again, you might notice that when the world was created, everything was created spiritually before it was created temporally. 

This is the same pattern we should use for our daily prayers.  According to Elder Bednar “the spiritual creation preceded the temporal creation. In a similar way, meaningful morning prayer is an important element in the spiritual creation of each day—and precedes the temporal creation or the actual execution of the day.”  Doesn’t that just make sense?   To prepare for our daily temporal life, we should also start the day with spiritual preparation, just like when the world was created, it was created spiritually first, then temporally.

He goes on and explains how each morning we should express our gratitude, then work on something we are struggling with wither that is a character trait, a behavior change or spiritual growth we are in need of. We then are to ask the lord for understanding, direction, and help with this trait. 

For my example, if I am struggling with wanting more peace towards my fellowman, I might pray with remorse, ask for strength and help be at peace towards this fellowman.

Then as my day continues, I might notice a time where I was not angry or might have felt resentment towards this fellowman, and I did not.  I would then see the Lord answering my prayers and express a quick prayer of gratitude, or if the opposite happens as I continue my day, I might express a quick prayer of strength to the Lord to help me again feel peace for this person.

As evening time comes, it is again time to get on our knees.  This is the time to report back to our Heavenly Father about our day, repent, and recommit to do better tomorrow, and express gratitude for the help we did received that day.

In this way, our prayers are a continuation on each other, and our linked together and are each important and meaningful.

I have really enjoyed my learning his week on prayers.  I recommit to morning and evening prayers, with many whispered prayers in between, I will pray for the strength and the humility to earnestly ask Heavenly Father for help and direction.  Because of my learning this week, I feel my prayers have taken on a new meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment