Thursday, April 28, 2016

A Pattern for Peace



Bishop W Christopher Waddell        

He began with a story about his daughter’s and son-in-law’s primary class of several active four-year-old boys.  One particular energetic boy was having a rough time and was removed from the classroom after several warnings, to find his parents.  Upon leaving the room, the little boy exclaimed, “sometimes-sometimes-it’s just hard for me to think about Jesus!” The point he made is our ability to have peace often depends on whether or not we too have a hard time thinking about Jesus.  I enjoyed this story.  Even I sometimes have a hard time thinking about Jesus, or reading my scriptures, or getting down on my knees.  Sometimes it is hard to accomplish the things we know we are supposed to be undertaking, and gaining the feeling of peace we greatly need or desire.

“Despite the tribulations of life, we can be of good cheer, we can be of good hope, and we need not fear” because Christ declared “In me ye might have peace.”  This gives me a hope in knowing I can have peace.

He also spoke about the importance of making covenants to be better “able to bear every trial, and to overcome each temptation.”  I knew its important to make covenants and go to the temple often, but I had never considered it a way to handle trials and temptations.  I know going to the temple during hard times brings peace, but I did not know it was the covenant making that help made the difference.

Later he talked about the two groups of people who ate of the tree of life, in Lehi’s vision.  It was noticed one group tasted of the fruit, and were mocked, and left tree.  The other group partook of the fruit, and were mocked, and stayed by the tree.  The difference between the two groups was one just tasted the fruit, while the other group was actively “partaking” of the fruit, and standing with the prophet and “enjoying the accompanying safety and peace.”  Knowing I need to partake of the fruit (daily) and not just taste it (occasionally), will make an extra incentive to make the effort required to feast on the gospel.

“Peace we seek requires more then a desire.  It requires us to act-by learning of Him, by listening to his words, and by walking with him.  We ma not have the ability to control all the happens around us, but we can control how we apply [this] pattern for peace.”  We all need peace in our lives.  Action, following his words and feasting on the gospel can lead us to the desired peace we all need and hope for in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment